Edwardsville, Illinois

Edwardsville, Illinois

Submit A House Article

Saint Louis Street

A Historic Destination.
  • 0
  • 1
prev
next

915 Saint Louis Street

News image

Our home at 915 St. Louis Street began its recorded history as lots 11, 12, 29 and 30 of The Joseph Gillespie Addition annexed to the west side of Edwardsville, IL. On March 6, 1883 by Judge Joseph Gillespie and his wife Mary E. Gillespie.  The addition consisted of 55 subdivided lots to be sold and developed by Judge Gillespie.  ... Read more

824 St. Louis Street:The Travous House

“Attorney C. N. Travous and family will move into their handsome new residence on St. Louis Street the latter part of the week” was the announcement in the Edwardsville Intelligencer on September 10, 1895.  Nearly 114 years later, the Travous house is still a “handsome” structure that has been home to some of Edwardsville’s lead... Read more

627 St. Louis Street: The E. M. West Ho

The classic Italianate and Greek Revival style brick house at 627 St. Louis Street was built by Edward M. West in 1858.  Modern-day residents of Edwardsville know this house as the former Pletcher or Schneider Funeral Home. But it is vitally important to the history and legacy of the house to know it as the historic “Wes... Read more

730 St. Louis Street: Crane House

The classic Queen Anne style home at 730 St. Louis Street was built for George B. Crane in 1893.  Crane was born May 20, 1830 on a farm in Seneca County, New York, one of five children of Amsey and Nancy (Crosby) Crane.  At the age of 16 he moved to New York City where he w... Read more

744 St. Louis Street: The Burroughs Hous

The first record of the property now known as 744 St. Louis Street was filed when John Robinson obtained it as part of a land grant in 1814.  It remained part of the Robinson farm until the land was purchased in about 1850 by Edward West.  West purchased the property with adjoining land as an investment.  At t... Read more

1020 Saint Louis Street

News image

  This history of 1020 Saint Louis Street began long, long ago and will be covered in a separate story, The Steinmeyer House.Early in the 1870\'s Judge Michael G. Dale built his elegant home on Fairgrounds Road.  In 1890 he sold this property to Henry Steinmeyer.  The ranch style home at 1020 Saint Louis Street is located in the center of  the ... Read more

The Steinmeyer House

News image

  Photo Courtey of the Madison County Historical Society (IL) In the 1870's Judge Michael G. Dale and wife Margaret built one of the first homes in the West End of Edwardsville at present day 1020 Saint Louis Street.  It was originally a small brick structure and rebuilt as shown in about 1878.  The large tract of land owned by Judge Dale ... Read more

Kirkpatrick-Richards House

News image

The Kirkpatrick-Richards House603 St. Louis Street The St. James Hotel in Edwardsville was the scene of great celebration on November 24, 1886.  Frank Kirkpatrick, son of the hotel owner, married a former St. Louisan, Miss Lulu Rippley, at the Presbyterian Church a short distance away, then returned to the hotel for a lavish reception.  The bride wore “a magnificent gown of ... Read more

915 Saint Louis Street •PDF• •Print• •E-mail•
•Written by Donna Potter•   
••Monday•, 30 •March• 2009 13:55•
Our home at 915 St. Louis Street began its recorded history as lots 11, 12, 29 and 30 of The Joseph Gillespie Addition annexed to the west side of Edwardsville, IL. On March 6, 1883 by Judge Joseph Gillespie and his wife Mary E. Gillespie.  The addition consisted of 55 subdivided lots to be sold and developed by Judge Gillespie.  The Judge died on January 14, 1885 with 25 ½ of the original 55 lots sold (including lot 29).  When Mary Gillespie died on April 2, 1890, 11 lots (including lots 11, 12 and 30) were willed to the Gillespie children and their spouses.

On February 27, 1893, lots 11, 12, and 30 were purchased by Stith Otwell Bonner for $6.00.  S.O. Bonner was the son of John Bonner and Polly Randle.  He was a graduate of McKendree Collage, Civil War veteran of the 150th Illinois Infantry, farmer, fruit grower, auctioneer, and in 1888 had been elected to the office of coroner on the Republican ticket.   Mr. Bonner had been widowed in 1867 and remarried in 1870 to Mrs. Mary E. McHenry (Bascom).  Mr. and Mrs. Bonner built their house on lot 12.  (Mary died in 1900 and is buried in the Bonner family plot on St. Louis St.).  S.O. Bonner sold lots 11, 12 and 30 along with the Victorian home he had built on March 9, 1920 to Matilda V. Gerke (Volbrath).

Mitilda was the widow of Henry Curtis Gerke, the heir of Gerke Abstract and Titles in Edwardsville.  Mrs. Gerke and her late husband had three children -- Wilbur Curtis, Henry Clarence and Matilda Elizabeth.  At the time she purchased the home, Mrs. Gerke was also caring for her late husband\'s mother, Mitilda I. Gerke, widow of Judge Henry C. Gerke.  In 1925 Mrs. Gerke purchased additional lots from the estate of the late Clay H. Lunch.  

When Mitilda V. Gerke died on July 3, 1945, the three children divided the estate equally with lots 11, 12, 29 and 30 going to H. Clarence and his wife Mary F. for $1.00.  Mr. and Mrs. Gerke then secured a mortgage of $6,500 on the property.

In 1956 on March 19, a young W.W. II pilot (and hero), Joyce (Boob) Bardelmeir and his wife Doris bought 915 St. Louis St. (all 4 lots) from Mr. and Mrs. H.C. Gerke using the G.I. Bill for the sum of $16,000.  Mr. and Mrs. Bardelmeir had three daughters, Karen, Patricia and Joan.

On May 1, 1998 David W. Wesa and Susan Y. Lodwick purchased 915 St. Louis St. from Joyce and Doris Bardelmeir.  Mr. Wesa and Ms. Lodwick were married on Feb 14, 1999 in the formal living room of their Victorian home.  Mr. and Mrs. Wesa had 5 children between them.  They cultivated the two back lots into a working vineyard, added a four car garage, a wine cellar, a turret room and an entire new 4th floor.  

In 2006, James Potter and his wife Donna purchased the property and renovated the home to accommodate their 4 children Cam, Holden, and Anna & Chloe.  The renovations included a two story kitchen/loft, a veranda and back courtyard.
•Last Updated on ••Tuesday•, 10 •November• 2009 02:03••
 
 
Joomla 1.5 Templates by Joomlashack