Edwardsville, Illinois

Edwardsville, Illinois

Submit A House Article

Saint Louis Street

A Historic Destination.
  • 0
  • 1
prev
next

915 Saint Louis Street

News image

Our home at 915 St. Louis Street began its recorded history as lots 11, 12, 29 and 30 of The Joseph Gillespie Addition annexed to the west side of Edwardsville, IL. On March 6, 1883 by Judge Joseph Gillespie and his wife Mary E. Gillespie.  The addition consisted of 55 subdivided lots to be sold and developed by Judge Gillespie.  ... Read more

824 St. Louis Street:The Travous House

“Attorney C. N. Travous and family will move into their handsome new residence on St. Louis Street the latter part of the week” was the announcement in the Edwardsville Intelligencer on September 10, 1895.  Nearly 114 years later, the Travous house is still a “handsome” structure that has been home to some of Edwardsville’s lead... Read more

627 St. Louis Street: The E. M. West Ho

The classic Italianate and Greek Revival style brick house at 627 St. Louis Street was built by Edward M. West in 1858.  Modern-day residents of Edwardsville know this house as the former Pletcher or Schneider Funeral Home. But it is vitally important to the history and legacy of the house to know it as the historic “Wes... Read more

730 St. Louis Street: Crane House

The classic Queen Anne style home at 730 St. Louis Street was built for George B. Crane in 1893.  Crane was born May 20, 1830 on a farm in Seneca County, New York, one of five children of Amsey and Nancy (Crosby) Crane.  At the age of 16 he moved to New York City where he w... Read more

744 St. Louis Street: The Burroughs Hous

The first record of the property now known as 744 St. Louis Street was filed when John Robinson obtained it as part of a land grant in 1814.  It remained part of the Robinson farm until the land was purchased in about 1850 by Edward West.  West purchased the property with adjoining land as an investment.  At t... Read more

1020 Saint Louis Street

News image

  This history of 1020 Saint Louis Street began long, long ago and will be covered in a separate story, The Steinmeyer House.Early in the 1870\'s Judge Michael G. Dale built his elegant home on Fairgrounds Road.  In 1890 he sold this property to Henry Steinmeyer.  The ranch style home at 1020 Saint Louis Street is located in the center of  the ... Read more

The Steinmeyer House

News image

  Photo Courtey of the Madison County Historical Society (IL) In the 1870's Judge Michael G. Dale and wife Margaret built one of the first homes in the West End of Edwardsville at present day 1020 Saint Louis Street.  It was originally a small brick structure and rebuilt as shown in about 1878.  The large tract of land owned by Judge Dale ... Read more

Kirkpatrick-Richards House

News image

The Kirkpatrick-Richards House603 St. Louis Street The St. James Hotel in Edwardsville was the scene of great celebration on November 24, 1886.  Frank Kirkpatrick, son of the hotel owner, married a former St. Louisan, Miss Lulu Rippley, at the Presbyterian Church a short distance away, then returned to the hotel for a lavish reception.  The bride wore “a magnificent gown of ... Read more

627 St. Louis Street: The E. M. West Home •PDF• •Print• •E-mail•
•Written by Cindy Reinhardt•   
••Sunday•, 30 •August• 2009 16:17•

The classic Italianate and Greek Revival style brick house at 627 St. Louis Street was built by Edward M. West in 1858.  Modern-day residents of Edwardsville know this house as the former Pletcher or Schneider Funeral Home. But it is vitally important to the history and legacy of the house to know it as the historic “West Home”. 

The West Home originally sat on a large lot surrounded by outbuildings and gardens.  The style of the building incorporated both Greek Revival as well as Italianate architectural styles.  The Greek Revival details are found in the symmetrically placed windows on the first and second floors, the use of cast iron in the porch railings and the lintels above the windows.  The first floor porch has been altered, but originally had cast iron railings and rounded porch columns.  The Italianate influence can be seen in the brackets located under the gables and eaves of the house.  The brick walls of the house were originally exposed, but were painted white sometime in the late 1800s or early 1900s. 

Even more noteworthy the architecture, but perhaps not as well known, is the prominence of the man who built and lived in the home for the last 30 years of his life.  E. M. West, grandson of two men who served in the Revolutionary War under George Washington, came to Edwardsville in 1833 as a 19-year old clerk in the land office.  West worked and prospered in several jobs, as well as political positions, and contributed his influence in retaining Edwardsville as the Madison County seat at a time when there was talk of moving it to Alton.

In 1868, West and his son-in-law, Major William R. Prickett, started a private banking house, as there had been no bank in Edwardsville since the old Bank of Edwardsville collapsed in 1824.  This new bank eventually became the present-day Bank of Edwardsville.

Edward M. West owned much of the land along St. Louis Street.  West Street (the section of Route 157 which borders Lincoln Middle School and the Hadley House, ending at St. Louis Street) was named for him.

The West home was the first house built in the legendary “Marriage Triangle”. In 1875, West’s daughter Mary married W. F. L. Hadley.  As a wedding gift, the Wests presented the Hadleys with land across the street, on which the Hadleys built their home, now referred to as “Hadley House” and owned by the school district.  In 1909-1910, the Hadleys built a home for their daughter Julie and her husband, Ralph Griffin, as a wedding gift.  The home was designed by Walter Burly Griffin, brother of the groom, in the Prairie School Style on property next to the West home.

Around 1919 E. M. West’s widow sold her home to another prominent Edwardsville family, the Adolphus Wolf family.  Adolphus Wolf was born in the Benjamin Stephenson House. As a young man in the Civil War, Adolphus, called Dolph by friends, successfully guarded the colors of Company F, 117th through many battles. In 1879, in partnership with his brothers, he started a coal mine that was sold to Madison Coal Company in 1891.  Madison No. 3 on Troy Road where Market Basket is now located was Edwardsville’s largest mine.  In later years, Adolphus made a career with the Bank of Edwardsville as assistant cashier and Vice-President.

The Wolf family lived in the St. Louis Street house for 30 years during which time they entertained their friends with parties and dances in their elegant home.

The historic West Home at 627 St. Louis Street stands as an elegant entrance to the National Register Historic District of St. Louis Street.

 

•Last Updated on ••Sunday•, 30 •August• 2009 22:33••
 
 
Joomla 1.5 Templates by Joomlashack